In just under a month’s time, Marvel maniacs will hit cinemas to eyeball one of the most anticipated movies of 2018 – Black Panther. It’s been six long years in the pipeline. But the first of two impending Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) releases is tipped to thrill even the most jaded superhero fan.
Why? Well, it’s the first ever MCU title featuring a black gladiator of the universe! So if you’re one of the millions of viewers who have thumbed through Marvel comic books as a kid or followed the action in Captain America: Civil War; Black Panther is destined to delight all over again… in high definition full-screen 3D.
What do you know about Black Panther? Probably not much, so we’ve hunted down a few interesting facts that’ll inspire you to book your seat to the latest iteration of Marvel magic today:
1.According to industry estimates, the total budget for the movie was between $180 million and $200 million… that’s a lot of greenbacks! You can consequently anticipate a 3D cinematic extravaganza with all the high-tech whistles and bells.
2. Black Panther is the first MCU title that features a predominantly black cast. Stars from as far afield as South Africa were recruited to dazzle on the screen. They include Connie Chiume and renowned father and son team, John and Atandwa Kani.
3. US ticket monitoring service Fandango has announced that Black Panther set the record for the best ever first-day presale ticket figures for a Marvel title.
4. The movie is an eclectic blend of superpower fuelled action, CIA saturated spy stuff and awesome African culture…..all rolled into one sophisticated viewing package.
5. Contrary to popular opinion, Black Panther, the comic book superhero was not named after the Black Panther Party or BPP. The black consciousness movement was founded in the USA in October 1966, three months after the Black Panther made his debut appearance in the 52nd edition of the Fantastic Four comic book.
6. Due to the notoriety of the BPP – the Director of the FBI at the time, J Edgar Hoover called it the greatest threat to homeland security – Black Panther was briefly re-named Black Leopard. Doesn’t quite have the right ring to it!
7. The great Zulu warrior, Shaka may have had his harem of maidens but the King of the fantasy kingdom of Wakanda has an army of fierce and ruthless female warriors to protect him. Dubbed the Dora Milaje, these leggy ladies are highly trained in the martial arts. You can expect plenty of tightly choreographed fight scenes to complement the strength, power and super intelligence of T’Challa.
Speaking of Kings, you can join the king of the African Serengeti as you explore our King Tusk Online Slot. Immerse yourself in an African Safari adventure as you explore the wild world of African reels with King Tusk and his herd of elephants and stampede your way to victory.
This 5×3 Microgaming slot displays mighty entertainment values and mammoth winning opportunities.
8. Coupled with record pre-sales, Black Panther is one of the most highly anticipated movies of the new year. It features prominently as one of the top 5 films tipped to break all-time box office records in 2018.
9. If you’re wondering whether Wakanda actually exists, it doesn’t. It’s an imaginary and technologically advanced African kingdom that has the rare metal of Vibranium at its economic heart. The strong and virtually impenetrable material is not only used in the construction of Black Panther’s tight fitting, figure-hugging outfit, it’s the base metal of Captain America’s super shield!
10. Black Panther is so highly anticipated it’ll be released ‘cross-nation’ on February 16th to prevent people from posting spoilers!
Is Black Panther going to live up to the hype? Only time will tell. Get down to the box office soon – it’s going to be a wild ride of action, epic battles and beautiful men and women!