We take a look at the stats to find out
Which one is more deserving of the legendary status: Messi or Ronaldo? Who is number 1? Let’s compare their Champions League stats to try and figure it out.
- Ronaldo: 103 goals over 138 Champions League games
- Messi: 94 goals in 115 Champions League games
Looking at the stats: Messi scores more often, with Ronaldo racking up 116 minutes per goal, whereas Messi sits at 101 minutes per goal. However, Ronaldo assists more regularly than Messi, with 362 minutes per assist, and Messi at 381.
GOAL COMPARISON BASED ON IMPORTANCE
50.5% of Ronaldo’s goals have been scored in the knockout stage, and 49.5% in the group stage, putting him ahead of Messi who sits at 39.4% in the knockout stage and 60.6% in the group stage. If you were wondering why Ronaldo leads in this area, it’s due to the fact that goals scored in the knockout stages are more valuable than those scored in the group stages.
Ronaldo once again dominates, being more of an all-rounder than his rival.
- 68% of his goals were scored with his right foot, 17.5% with his head (impressive!) and 14.6% of goals have been scored using his left foot.
Messi, on the other hand, although not as much of an all-rounder, is still equally as impressive.
- 4.3% of goals have been scored with his head, 14.9% with his right foot, and 80.9% of goals scored have been by using his left foot.
SEASONS AS A TOP SCORER
On this one, they’re equal, with both having been the Champions League top scorer for five seasons.
- Messi: 2011/12 saw him scoring 14 goals in 11 games
- Ronaldo: 2013/14 saw him scoring a staggering 17 goals in 11 games
CHAMPIONS LEAGUE TROPHIES
In this arena, Messi kicks Ronaldo’s butt, trumping Ronaldo’s 3 Champions League trophies with 4 trophy wins.
Have you made up your mind about who has more game? Tell us in the comment section below!