Blackjack is one of the best games in any land-based or online casino. Winning at blackjack depends a lot on the luck of the draw, but even more on the skill of the blackjack player. By following these simple blackjack tips, you will increase your enjoyment of the blackjack game and your chances of winning at blackjack.
Learn the Blackjack Basics
- Learn the jargon. What do hit and stand mean? What are soft hands and hard hands? What is doubling down? What is splitting? Make sure you know the answers to these questions before you start to play blackjack. It’s hard to win at blackjack if you don’t understand the game.
Use the Blackjack Basic Strategy Table
- Memorize the blackjack basic strategy table, or keep a copy with you. The blackjack basic strategy chart is the blackjack player’s best friend. Devised by some really smart people and based on rigorous mathematical analysis, the basic strategy table tells you the optimal move to make in every situation in the blackjack game. Blackjack basic strategy tables are available on many websites and blackjack books and are the key to consistent winning blackjack.
- A corollary to the above rule is that you are not required to follow the basic strategy table slavishly. You have been endowed with free will; feel free to follow your hunches. But, nevertheless, the basic strategy chart should be your guide in most cases.
- Forget about card-counting. Maybe you’ve heard about it or seen it in the movies, and it seems glamorous and exciting, but it doesn’t work in the online casino. Card counting works only in land-based casinos, and even there, it takes intense concentration and hundreds of hours of practice to do it right.
Learn the Blackjack Rules
- Learn the rules of the blackjack game you are playing. Rules vary from game to game. Does the dealer hit or stand on soft 17? Is surrender an option? On what hands may you double down? Make sure you know the rules of the particular game of blackjack that you have chosen to play.
- Try some of the more esoteric blackjack variations. Have you ever played Pontoon? Double Exposure Blackjack? Spanish Blackjack? Add some variety to your life. Try an unusual blackjack game. You just might find that you enjoy it more than “regular” blackjack, and in any event it is sure to make your life more interesting.
- Go for the big money. Try playing Triple Sevens blackjack. This is a progressive jackpot online blackjack game, and this is where you can win really big money playing blackjack. If you get lucky enough, you could win up to $100,000 or even more on a single hand of blackjack.
- Play free games. The land-based casinos don’t allow this, but the online casinos do. Take advantage of the opportunity. Playing practice games with nothing at stake allows you to familiarize yourself with the rules, refine your blackjack strategy, and feel comfortable with the game. Then, when you feel good and ready, start playing real blackjack with real money bets and with the confidence that you have what it takes to win at blackjack.
- Don’t play at a blackjack table that makes you feel uncomfortable, either because of rules that don’t favor you, or because of a dealer who is a jerk, or because of a player who gives you the heebie-jeebies. Don’t play at a table where the minimum bet is more than 5 percent of your bankroll. Of course, you don’t have to worry about these things if you play blackjack online from the comfort of home.
Some Blackjack Strategy Tips
- Always split aces; never split tens.
- Don’t waste your money on insurance.
- Don’t lose track of your finances. Make sure you are playing for winnings that will be pleasurable, and that you are not counting on them to pay your bills.
- Do not chase after your losses. Respect the spending restrictions you have imposed on yourself and do not extend them, even if you lose money more quickly than you had originally anticipated. Nobody can win at blackjack every time, and you must be prepared for the inevitable losing days.
Enjoy Your Blackjack Game
- Blackjack is one of the greatest casino games. Enjoy your blackjack game! Good luck!